Optibay drive: best configuration for Aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makina670, Feb 27, 2008.

1. makina670 macrumors newbie

Can anyone help with suggestions on how to set up my MacBook Pro for optimum speed with Aperture?

I have replaced the hard drive with a 320gb WD 5400rpm one and, since the DVD drive was broken, bought a 250gb 5400rpm IDE Optibay drive from MCE and had that installed.

At the moment they are set up simply as two separate drives, with Aperture on one and the Aperture library on the other.

Is there a better way to have the drives configured? Raid?. I've also heard about moving Cache or Temp Settings to a separate drive to improve performance but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I know the chief limiting factor on editing speed will always be memory, and unfortunately I have the original version MacBook Pro with its maximum 2gb of RAM.

But any suggestions on how to make the best of the set-up I have would be gratefuly received.

Thanks

2. mashinhead macrumors 68020

raiding is the only other option i can think of but i wouldn't do that unless you're backing the whole thing up regularly. But i'm thinking of getting on of these and i want to know do you have to have the same drive (ie 2 320 wester digitals) to raid it or can you get any drive?

3. sdsviet macrumors regular

i believe u need 2 identical drives to run a raid setting. i could be wrong but im pretty sure about this. also im running on the first gen mbp and trying to configure aperture for it too. let me know how it runs with just the 320 54k since that's what im planning to upgrade my 100 72k. might even get the 320 72k if it comes out soon.