Optibay Drive Spinning Up and Down on i5 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinrudolf, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kevinrudolf macrumors newbie

Spent hours searching on MRoogle etc, couldn't find anything helpful, wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I recently installed an Optibay in my new 2010 i5 2.4 MBP using Lifehacker's guide, which can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

I have an 80GB Intel X-25 SSD in the main hard drive slot, and a 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT in the Optibay. The OS and applications are installed on the SSD in the main slot, while my home folder and some Pro Tools session files are located on the Momentus XT connected via Optibay in the optical drive slot.

The Seagate spins up for about 2 minutes, then spins down for about 10 seconds, only to spin up again for 2 minutes. This happens indefinitely, regardless of what I'm doing. I'd like the Momentus XT to be completely off when I'm doing simple tasks like web browsing so I can have a nice, silent MBP. But even when I'm not accessing data from it, it still spins up.

For example, tonight I had nothing open except Safari, not touching the laptop, the webpage had already loaded. I hear the Momentus XT spin down...10 seconds pass...spins up again. Can't figure this out. Is it because my home folder is on the drive? Shouldn't it still be able to spin down if I'm only web browsing in Safari? "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" is checked in my energy saver preferences...

Help!

2. kevinrudolf thread starter macrumors newbie

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Have you set the spindown time for the drive? Also, disabling spotlight will help too.

4. kevinrudolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have not set the spindown time for the drive, how do I do that? Shouldn't it be something like 10 minutes by default though? This happens for hours even if I'm just web browsing.

How does one disable spotlight?

5. bhattsan macrumors member

I think that is a complaint many users have had with the hard drive itself and not so much the optibay. It will spin down if running off of data cached by the ssd and spin up when retrieving from the hard drive. Not sure if there's any fix for this though.