Optibay from '09 model work in '12 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxfischersweet, Jul 8, 2012.

1. maxfischersweet macrumors member

i got an optibay in a 2009 13" unibody macbook pro. i was wondering if it will work in a 2012 15" non-retina macbook pro. i especially want to know if it will slow the SATAIII connection that is running in the 2012 optical bay. ill be putting a 256GB samsung 830 ssd in it. i just want to know if i can avoid having to buy a new optibay or data doubler. i would try it, but i dont have my ssd yet, so i was wondering if i could get this answered before i get it. (how could i even test if it was using the full SATAIII Speed?) im 99.9% sure it will fit and everything, like i said before, im just mainly concerned with it slowing the SATAIII connection.

thanks.

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I don't think it will slow down anything. The 2011 model has a slow ODD and it does not interfere with the SATA speed of the HDD. Nothing to worry I guess.

3. maxfischersweet thread starter macrumors member

well i know for a fact that both the optical bay and the main drive bay are finally capable of running at full 6gb/s in the 2012 model (unlike previous models including the 2011), so i want to be sure it can take full advantage of my 6gb/s ssd in the optical bay using the optibay from my 2009 model.