Optibay Hard drive for old 2.0 White MacBook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MasterNile, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

OK since I don't use the optical drive in my MacBook (in sig) much anymore since I rip/encode DVDs using my iMac now, I'm thinking about getting the optibay hard drive sled to replace the ODD, I've read all the previous threads on MR about it and they seem to be few and far between and don't have much info. In one of them I read that if you remove the internal drive then DVD player doesn't work anymore, can anyone confirm this (not a big deal as all of my DVDs are in iTunes, and I plan to get an external drive anyway just curious)?

I heard some external DVD burners don't play well with some programs on Macs, is there one that does and has a high DVD write speed?

I don't know much about RAID configurations, but was thinking about setting up a striped RAID across 2 500GB HDs eventually, but until I have the money for that I'd like to do a striped (sorry I'm not good at remembering numbers)RAID across my current 500GB HD and the old 320GB, I was planning to use an external 1TB drive for cloning the HD, perhaps even another one for Time Machine. Is this a decent set up? Should I do 1 back up or 2? What kind of speed boost would I see from doing a striped RAID across two 5400RPM disks, would they be as fast as a 7200 RPM or would the PATA interface for the ODD slow it down-I'm not really looking for speed just one big hard drive so this is just something I'm curious about not a deal breaker?

2. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Anyone have this installed? or even the new one for the unibodies? or anyone using a different solution to put 2 HDDs into a Mac notebook?