OptiBay HD and Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kiname, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Kiname macrumors newbie

Ok for starters I'll be ordering my 2.2ghz MBP tomorrow and just have a question regarding the OptiBay mod.

I'm looking at getting the 128gb OEM SSD and depending on the response to the following either putting a HD in the OptiBay or just buying an External.

According to the searches on this forum it appears that replacing the OptiBay with a second HD will NOT void the warranty. However when I phoned Apple Care today (Two separate occasions to get different people) and asked them, they stated that doing this mod would void any and all warranty as it isn't a configuration that they offer. One of them also stated however that replacing RAM yourself would do the same...

So I'm just wondering; Is this a new view by Apple? Or were other people told similar and simply decided to do the mod anyway?

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Doing the OptiBay mod does void the warranty. According to the manuals (and Apple themselves, except the guy you talked to) you can replace the HD and RAM without voiding the warranty. However, if you botch the upgrade and break the logic board for instance, warranty is voided.

3. simsaladimbamba

Replacing RAM does not void the warranty, otherwise Apple would not include instructions on how to do it in their User Guides.
    And if you break anything during the installation of the Optibay, the warranty is void. But other than that, how should Apple know you replaced anything?

4. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

So people just do the mod, then if something comes up that they need fixed under warranty they just switch the OptiDrive back in and it's good to go?

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

that's correct

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Exactly, I've had to do this a few times lol but no big. I've gotten very good at swapping out the ODD. I just left the SSD in when it came to going to the Genius Bar.

7. Kiname thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright sweet. Thanks heaps for the quick responses