Optibay HD - Convert to External USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A4orce84, Jul 2, 2014.

1. A4orce84 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to sell my Macbook Pro, so I need to "de-mod" it and remove the Optibay HD I installed in the optical bay spot.

Is there any kind of external enclosure I can buy, so once I remove the Hard-Drive, I can still use as an external USB drive (or something along those lines)?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Asif

2. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

There's all sorts of HD enclosures for bare drives available. If it's a SATA drive you should be able to find one on somewhere like Newegg or Amazon with pretty little effort.

3. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, anyone have any personal experience or recommendations on a good cheap enclosure?

Thanks.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I'd just sell the bare drive. I find external enclosures pretty expensive, it's much cheaper to buy an external drive as a package. In comparison, you often pay nothing for the enclosure itself. At least that's the case in Europe.

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

Agree with this. The quality of the cheaper enclosures is also rather poor, in comparison to a relatively cheap 1TB WD Passport for example, which is what I have.

I'm done messing around with bare drives and enclosures. They look pretty rubbish as well.