Optibay HDD randomy switched to Disk0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so i have a SSD in my main bay and a HDD in the optibay and randomly i noticed today that the SSD switched to Disk1 and the HDD is now at Disk0, any clue in why this may have happened? also, how do i switch it back?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you switch what disk was the Startup Disk?

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I noticed this too....dont know why it happens but doesn't seem to cause any problems....today when I was running my daily hdapm command in terminal I put in disk1 and my SSD came up....so I ran it again and put in disk0(normally my ssd not hdd)

----------

Because I experienced same change....I didn't switch anything, my Startup disk has been my "Macintosh SSD" for the past 1.5months and it always has been disk0 until today:S(as I only noticed it today) which came to my attention as I was about to run my hdapm command....I don't think there is any harm or issue with it....I remember seeing it like this about a week back but I was too busy with my work and didn't really think about it cause I unmounted my partitions of my HDD and later when i went to mount it, the HDD showed on top as the first item in the list under Disk Utility.......but since then it switched back and switched once again today...

4. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

no i didn't switch anything, but i rebooted and it switched back

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I think its random...which ever drive wakes up first...im sure only differs by mili seconds....race to the awake! haha

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I also thought that odd and a bit annoying because my first unmount scripts eject disk0 or disk1 respectively and that was a bit inconvenient.
    Never really figuerd out the pattern. I once thought booting to bootcamp might be the reason. It switched around every 3-4 reboots didn't seem completely random but who cares it doesn't really matter.

7. jrabbit macrumors member

I have seen this as well in my setup, and had to adjust the unmount scripts to properly find the correct volumes to unmount...

Other than that, the switching doesn't seem to cause any issues; even Fusion isn't fazed when it loads the Bootcamp volume.

8. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

what are you doing for un mounting scripts? like does it the drive unmount itself after a period of time? also how would i go about doing this?