Optibay Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giroux, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Giroux macrumors newbie

Hi All!
    I recently purchased a new macbook pro 15'' i7 2.2 ghz with an apple 128gb ssd. I'm looking to uprade my storage soon and have been kind of debating whether to go with just a slim and portable 500gb external hd or open it up and install an optibay with an internal hd. I am very paranoid about opening it up and trying to install it myself since i do not have much experience with taking apart/re-assembling computers. I was thinking about calling some local authorized apple service centers to see if they could do it for me. Another question I have is what kind of optibays/hd's work best with the 2011 models? I have seen a number of threads discussing different brands. I'm sorry if this question has been brought up before but I would appreciate any help on the subject! Thanks very much for reading!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Love the one in my sig. I reviews/compared 3 or 4 and ended up going with the MAXCONNECT from MAXUPGRADES.com

Love it and it was super easy to install.

3. givmedew macrumors newbie

I just ordered that hard drive holder from maxupgrades are there any other parts I need to make this happen? Do I need some sort of an adapter? I have a Mid 09 Unibody 13"

This is what I purchased

SZ-MACPRO91S-01
    MaxConnect for SSD/HDD 2.5 inch Drives for Mac Pro [2009-2010] Internal Drive Bays: $24.75

If that's all I needed that AWESOME. I could care less about the optical drive use I will probably never need it and if I ever do I know where I can get a usb bay for $10

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

5. AML225 macrumors regular

Does installing the optibay void the warranty?

6. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

technically: yes

logically: not really if u do it right

7. AML225 macrumors regular

There's not really a grey area. If I optibay would I be able to take my computer to Apple for repair should I need it? Would I have to swap the ODD back in and hope apple doesn't notice?

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it voids the warranty.

If you were to put your SuperDrive back in before you brought it in, and Apple couldn't tell you fooled around inside, then you'll probably be okay.