Optibay Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xSavagedMonkey, Apr 20, 2013.

1. xSavagedMonkey macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro and decided to install an SSD as well as the 500GB already in here, so I bought a 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SSD and an Optibay from eBay. I need Mac on the SSD, 250GB On the HDD for Mac to use and 250GB for BOOTCAMP on the HDD.

HDD - Extra Space for Mac, BOOTCAMP
    SSD - Mac

The problems I'm having are:

Can't get the SSD to Boot Mac while in the Optibay (works in HDD bay) It doesn't even appear in my boot menu or startup options, I opened it in disk utility and verified and it gives an error saying the disc needs to be repaired, so I tried repairing and it just does the same thing over and over.

So, I decided to try the SSD in the HDD bay, and the HDD in the Optibay, it booted in to Mac from the SSD, but I can't get bootcamp to boot at all, it says 'No Bootable device found' So I tried using disk utility and again, fails to repair.

So, I'm assuming my Optibay is defective? Suppose that's what I get for buying cheap crap from eBay.

Anyone know if it's just something I'm doing wrong? Or if it's a known problem?

If it is defective, can anyone recommend a good quality optibay (in the UK)

Thanks.

2. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

It sucks, was looking forward to having dual hard drives too, I've contacted the eBay seller, hopefully they send a replacement and I'll try again! The fun!

Probably defective crap, I've took a look at the insides and solder points are all in tact, not sure why it Isn't working.

If you happen to come across a fix hit me up! I'll do the same :)

3. gametime10 macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem trying to do that setup on a 2012 13" MBP, except I was using a Samsung 830 SSD. I happened to find one comment in a forum somewhere about how SSD + HDD setups can be finicky, and only a few SSDs have proven to be reliable in that setup. One of them was Crucial M4 SSDs, so I've gone with them and never had a problem. I've set up at least 4 2012 MBPs with a Crucial M4 SSD + Stock HDD (SSD in the Optibay, Boot Camp partition on the HDD) Fusion Drive setup and all are working perfectly. Hope this helps.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im pretty sure bootcamp cant boot from external drive other than your main...

5. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

If I connect my SSD to the optibay it doesn't even detect it, I'm going to assume its broken, contacted the seller and hopefully get a replacement.

6. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Not helpful at all, I spent £120 on this SSD, I'm not buying another.

7. negativzero macrumors 6502a

I have a Crucial M4 in my setup too but bootcamp just refuses to boot when the hdd is in the optibay.

Strange thing for me is that I had the same SSD + HDD setup on my 2011 MBP and it works flawlessly.

Another strange thing is I can boot the bootcamp partition properly if I use vmware. But I play games so I do need that bootcamp partition to work.

8. gametime10 macrumors regular

My experience is pretty limited as I've never tried it with the HDD in the Optibay. But with it in the Primary Bay, I haven't had any problems getting a Boot Camp partition and installing the OS on the SSD or making a Fusion Drive. But again my experience is limited to 2012 MBPs and Crucial M4s.

9. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Does your SSD with OS X on work in the optibay? I can't get mind to show up In the optibay.

10. negativzero macrumors 6502a

It works but I get more beachballs in Mountain Lion than I do on a hot day at the beach.

11. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine doesn't even get detected, shows in Disk Utility and on Start up Disc but doesn't boot, shows the folder with '?'

It must be too much to ask for to have a second hard drive in my £1500 computer >.<

12. negativzero macrumors 6502a

I suspect it might be my lousy eBay bought optibay.
    I'm considering getting an OWC data doubler but I'm not sure if that will help.

13. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

The data doubler is expensive, especially if I want it shipped to the UK.

Are there no other alternatives?

14. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed Mac on my HDD and put it in the original HDD bay, with the SSD in the Optibay.

I loaded up Mac and the SSD shows fine in System Information, but will not verify at all in Disk Utility.

Any help at all :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i can recall of getting bootcamp on a hdd in the optibay i had a data doubler from owc a 750gb scorpio in the optibay and a samsung 830 in the regular hole i had a 2010 13 mac pro

16. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspect it could be my SSD being incompatible I will have to try and return it.

I can't even get a Data Doubler here in the UK.

17. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Well I dropped a few quid on the OWC data doubler. Solved all my problems, no beachballs, and bootcamp works as expected.

18. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

I'm planning on doing all of this in the near future so have been bookmarking pages like yours. I've also been bookmarking suppliers...

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=39_118_286&products_id=6786

Is a UK vendor of the OWC data doubler, although I've not used them.

Anyone know if this problem exists when replacing both with new SSDs? (M500 960gb ones for example)

19. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ditto, got my Data Doubler today, works perfect.

Mac booted straight away from the SSD in the Optibay.

Note to self: never buy cheap crap from eBay.

20. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Yup lesson learnt. Though I'm still surprised my 2011 MacBook worked with that setup.

Did bootcamp work for you???

21. xSavagedMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, HDD in the original bay and SSD in the optibay, Windows installed via bootcamp like normal, boots perfect :)

So glad to be up and running!