Optibay in 2012 MBP compatibility and suggestions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Themegamacman, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Themegamacman macrumors member

Hi everybody. So I'm looking into passing my current computer on to my brother and buying a new 2012 13". Basically I was wondering if this optibay would be compatible with the new 13" MBP. Then, I was looking at a drive for it and have been doing some research and know there's not one definitive "best" SSD but do you guys think the Crucial M4 is a good option, and will it be compatible with this optibay? Has anyone done the dual drive setup in the 2012 MBP yet? If so, how did it go for you? I'm still deciding if I want to do it or not, so any input is appreciated. Thanks! I'm looking at the base line 13" if that makes a difference.

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

It does work on the 13" but if you get a SSD that is 6Gbps you need to replace the stock drive with it and put the stock in the optical bay. I ordered a Crucial M4 256GB today that I will install tomorrow. OWC reported issues with 6Gbps drives in the optical bay at this time with the 13" but the 15" did not have this issue. A 3Gbps drive has no issues in either bay.