Optibay mod vs warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toothache, Dec 18, 2011.

1. toothache macrumors member

Good evening boys and gals.

I just received my late 15 MBP with high res AG and 750gb 7.2k RPM drive added.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I bought an intel 320 ssd 80gb (on sale). Now that's replacing the original hdd.

I placed an order for 2nd hdd optibay kit and now kinda hesitating.

I'm pretty good with hand skill (I'm a dental student) and I think I will be able to execute this DIY with minimal issues.

Has anyone faced a problem getting their warranties voided due to this mod?

Thanks in advance and I'm super excited about this MAC :D.

2. happle macrumors 6502a

it does void the warrantee but most people have agreed that all you have to do is put the optical drive back in place and apple won't really be able to tell otherwise.

3. toothache thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess that gives me assurance to go ahead with this mod. :D pretty excited. I was a little worried that I might have bought a too small space SSD.

4. happle macrumors 6502a

you'll be good just be careful with the screws. they're easily strippable, so make sure you have them in straight and solid before tightening. also watch some vide on the mod first to get yourself familiar. the mod is fairly easy and once you do it once you'll know how to do it again and again no problem.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've had the optibay mod in my computer for a very long time now. I've taken my computer in for anything from display repairs to motherboard replacements. I've never been given any trouble for it. Sometimes they ask how well it works or whatnot.

6. toothache thread starter macrumors member

reading your other posts
    I think we can be pretty good friends. LMAO. not being creepy but the OCD ness of you.

----------

Imma do it right after holidays.
    It's gonna be a good time killer after school (trying to get everything "right")
    it seems like I have to worry about pulling files from 2nd hdd in apps (itunes etc) and to turn the spin speed down when not in use. But all in all, I'm happy and mostly always around a power outlet.

7. happle macrumors 6502a

haha yeah i tend to be a little obsessive over my mbp. but **** i spent 2400 bucks on the thing so i have a right to be! its not like i have money out the ass. I'm in college and pretty broke actually, so 2400 bucks is like a years worth of beer money ;)