Optibay not recognized after restart

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joshinkorea, Jun 1, 2010.

1. joshinkorea macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a black 2.0ghz Macbook Core Duo and I recently installed an Optibay with my original 80 gig drive and put a WD 320 gig drive in the primary HD slot.

Everything seems to be fine, except whenever I restart the Macbook, the 2nd drive is nowhere to be found. It's not recognized in the Disk Utility, nor is it seen in the System Profiler (whenever I restart). But, whenever I actually power off the comp and power it back on, it's there again.

Anyone have this problem and/or suggestion/advice? It really isn't a big deal I suppose, since I plan to use the 2nd drive only for recovery purposes; I wouldn't need to access it unless something went wrong. It's still kind of annoying, though...

2. revbarabbas macrumors regular

I would go to MCE's website and talk to them first...it's a pretty rare piece of hardware and I doubt that any one will have had a similar problem to yours and be a poster on this site to help you.

3. joshinkorea thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check with them and see what's going on.

Actually, I found out about the product through these forums, so I thought someone might have encountered the problem.

4. blackbeezian macrumors newbie

Just to say I've got a very similar setup (blackbook with optibay) and am also having intermittent issues with the hard drive mounting in mine. its was an ebay knock off (not a genuine optibay) and works probably 3 or 4 times out of 5 booting up. if i boot up and the disk isn't mounted i restart and it's there. it has also "ejected" during usage but this has only happened once or twice.

I'm thinking it may be a POST (and i know EFI macbooks don't post like PCs but they most do something similar) issue where the hard drive is not spun up in time. gotta be something like that as I can't believe the connection is playing up and the restarting business plus someone else with the same problem adds weight.

i'm not sure how to adjust the "bios" (again, i know there isn't a bios but there is an equivalent) to add a post turn on wait for the hard drive to spin up to rule this out? on most PCs if you go into the bios you will see this option.

anyone else who has the problem please stick a post up and if you get to the bottom of it we can share the knowledge. sharing = caring

5. Covart Guest

I bought one from them. Doesn't work at all (my guess is bad SATA connector, cause if you look at how these are made, it's not very impressive!) Now it is a door stop for one simple reason. Once they get your money, they don't respond to e-mails and of course "the guy" you need to talk to on the phone seems to always conveniently be away. After 4 attempts, I just chalked it up to a ****** company and a loss of $100. Won't ever deal with them again. Good luck if you do.

It does work as a nice door stop though. So I got that going for me.

6. MareoRaft macrumors newbie

I have this same exact issue. HDD in optical will not appear on restart, but will appear after complete shut down. I heard that some macs have Open Firmware, and some have EFI.

So the question is, how could i change some setting through OF or EFI so that it waits a while longer to look for bootable devices? I do have rEFIt if that helps...