Optibay on 2011 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doofoo, Feb 25, 2011.

1. doofoo macrumors member

Does anyone know if it still fits? I have a new one in the box at home, wondering if it fits.

Returning my i7 2.8 Macbook Pro 15" and replacing it with a 15" 2.2 Quad i7.

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

It's the same drive, so it should work. iFixit has a teardown of the new 2011 revision; try comparing the ripped out SuperDrive in the picture(s) with yours to make sure.

3. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping it's the same . Find out soon enough. LOL

4. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'll give it a shot. I had purchased an i7 2.8Ghz a month ago with an Optibay, 120GB SSD and 8GB 1066 upgraded memory. I'm hoping I can swap the memory and optibay in from the i7 I am returning to the new 15"

Should have the machine in a few days. I'll update this thread if no one else has by then.

5. cruzngsocal macrumors newbie

Did the switch this morning, fits fine. There is one new cable over the superdrive but it does not impact the install.

6. aznguyen316, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Did it last night. A bit tougher than before only because the the speaker area was kind if tight instead of being able to move all the way out. The black speaker thing is also a little flatter or something. Anyway my caddy was ghetto in the first place and I had to shave off some black plastic to fit it again. Anyway it's the same size, easy. lol didn't mean to make that confusing I'll post pictures here soon.

*edit* pictures

attachment photo 3 shows in red approximately the screws or cables that need to be removed. The green square is what I meant that seemed to be "bigger" or thicker. Shouldn't be a problem though. Good luck, sorry for the craptastic pictures, did it in low light lol.

Attached Files:

7. Corato macrumors newbie

DVD drive works, DVD Player does not

Turns out the software I had from Optibay to enable DVD Player to work with external DVD is for version 5.3 and the Player is version 5.4 I sent inquiry to MCE Technologies on updated software. Anyone tested DVD Player running external?

8. Knuck macrumors newbie

I just installed mine on an early 2011 and DVD Player works fine.

9. Corato macrumors newbie

Ran the MCE 5.3 software and it works fine with the 5.4 DVD Player