OptiBay on Early 2008 White MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by saggel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. saggel macrumors regular

Hello all,
    I've been following the threads here for quite some time and I decided to register and ask some questions. :apple:

I have an early 2008 macbook (white, non-unibody), or macbook 4.1 if that helps. I've already upgraded my laptop with 4GB ram and a 7200rpm disk but I think it's time for an SSD.

I bought an 128GB Kingston Now V from eBay but I want to keep my 7200rpm disk too. So, I know the solution is an 'optibay'.

Having read all relevant threads I know the best solution is to keep the SSD on the HDD bay, and put the platter disk on the optibay. I am also planning to move the home folder to the platter disk (mostly for safety and cause of the space).

I also found that my DVD is PATA so I'll need a PATA-to-SATA optibay.

And here comes the question. What's the best solution / product for that?

Thank you all so much in advance for your time :)

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

3. dpo macrumors member

Do you know offhand if that Ebay optibay enclosure is better than this Amazon one (lots of complaints that it's too loose and could jiggle about):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZXU72Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2IVZZEGYH2BXP

4. simsaladimbamba

The one Optibay adapter you quoted is for PATA (IDE) interfaces, like the early 2008 MacBook has.
    The adapter you linked to is for SATA interfaces, like the late 2008 and 2009 MacBooks and MacBook Pros have.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The original PATA optical drive is held in place by 3 screws and a locking pin but I cannot see any mention of how it is fixed in place..

It should be a fairly tight fit in the space though.....

6. dpo macrumors member

My bad, for jumping on someone else's thread. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro..

7. saggel thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your help and the link :)
    Using its specs I found this one almost 5 pounds cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-HDD-S...ge_Internal&hash=item2eb7bcac3d#ht_4220wt_956

isn't it the same?

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - that looks the same only cheaper. Go for it !!

I had a quick look through some feedback and found comments for that item - buyer very happy....

Crazy price - are the "real" Optibay ones not around £50 !!!

9. saggel thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought.
    I'll ask the seller if the drive gets safe with screws on the caddy and if it's specifically made for that model. Cause if you have a closer look, the expensive one has a little 'tooth' with a hole for a screw on the front side, and I don't know it that's needed or if that's a generic pic. Are there pics of anyone who has done that on a white macbook?
    Thank you so much again for your help mate!