OptiBay on the Cheap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tdshank, Feb 8, 2012.

1. tdshank macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Just thought I would let you know. I was looking for an optibay or OWC alternative that was a little cheaper.

The OWC version looks really nice, but i see no need for a pretty thing that no one will ever see.

Searching amazon, I found this.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...H2US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328715224&sr=8-1

This is made for the unibody MBP, (i have 2010 Model)

It works PERFECT, and is only $18.54 Shipped!

No vibration, and it even has screws on the bottom that actually hold the drive in place.

Best bang for the buck!

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Thanks, pretty cool.

Something I'd be interested in seeing is an SSD drive in the shape of the optibay thing. Seems like a lot of space is wasted with the caddy since it's 5.25" wide while a regular disk drive for laptops is 2.5". So half the space taken up is just filler. Why not put all that extra space to good use? Think how much more disk space you'd have! Probably could have 1-1.5 terabytes in it.

3. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

one thing to keep in mind is the ocw optibay / data doubler is much lighter than the alternatives.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

probably becasue a SSD that was 5.25" wide would not sell as well as one that is 2.5", not every SSD is used in a optibay caddy

5. tdshank thread starter macrumors newbie

This is actually very light - is made of aluminum I did a comparison, of the SuperDrive and the hard drive with this enclosure. The HDD/Enclosure is lighter than the super drive.

6. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Yeah I know. I didn't mean to totally get rid of 2.5" drives, just saying some people who are ditching their optibay might want to go with one big ssd rather than a 2.5" drive + caddy. Or maybe make it possible to put two 2.5" drives into one caddy. Not sure if that's possible, though.

Anyone know any statistics on how many people actually swap out their optibay and put in another disk drive? Just curious to see how big a market these caddies have.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. ampsonic macrumors newbie

I don't think size is a limiting factor when creating SSDs. The NAND chips are just damn expensive.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I was planning on using the same caddy - glad for the good report - I think I will purchase mine right away.

What optical drive enclosure did you purchase?

10. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I have an OWC data doubler and love it. My buddy has a different brand and you can tell as far as weight, but it's not much. I don't think a gram of weight difference is really that serious.

one thing I like about the one that you have is it seems a little more durable and uses more than just two screws.

11. new1macuser macrumors newbie

May sound obvious, but I think this one is a reasonably priced option for the superdrive enclosure at about $12 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/USB2-0-Extern...book/dp/B002IRY3ME/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_01_t_lh

So the total cost of Caddy and enclosure is coming to about $30 shipped as against about $100 shipped for the OWC data doubler + OWC SuperSlim USB 2.0 Enclosure for Apple SuperDrive

12. new1macuser macrumors newbie

Just wondering if any one has used this product! Amazon reviews seem to be promising but not sure how good this reseller called "Brainydeal" is ??

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I was a little concerned about the optical enclosure as well. I had my eye on another one from Amazon.

14. new1macuser macrumors newbie

Can you please share a link to that product ? Thanks.

15. xamievilx macrumors newbie

i've got a early 2011 Macbook Pro 13-inch and a boatload of credit currently in my amazon account...anyone have any experience with one of the "optibays" on there...which one would be the "best" for me...

16. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

If that one is a 'no name' brand, then I have the same one. I got mine off ebay for about $25. It works perfectly fine, reads all optical media and I haven't had a single problem copying DVDs.

Its made of plastic that kind of feels like the MacBook Pro's aluminum finish, but the quality is still poor. On the upside it does look very nice and goes well with the MacBook Pro for a *decent* price (its still overpriced, its basically a cheap enclosure that should cost more than $10 and thats still being generous).

Installation is pretty easy; the optical drive goes inside and the bottom and top covers snap together. I did have a problem with it though at the beginning, where inserting discs was fine but ejecting them caused the disk to hit the plastic enclosure and wouldnt come out. This was due to the optical drive being positioned too low inside the enclosure, so I had to throw in some paper inside to push the drive up a little. The solution doesn't bother me since I've only used the (now external) drive less than 20 times in 6 months.

I'm actually quite happy with having two hard drives inside my MacBook Pro, one being an Intel SSD in the optibay and another in the default bay being a 1TB Western Digital drive for storage and a Windows partition. Reason for having the HDD in the default bay slot is due to an anti-shock mechanism being present there where as the optibay wouldnt have it (and since SSDs dont suffer from shock, it was was the right place to put it).

Anyway, buy the external enclosure for your ODD, it looks nice despite being plastic (who cares though), regardless its the closest thing you'll find to match your MBP aluminum finish.

18. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=186

Is this the same ODD enclosure?

19. JTravers macrumors 6502a

I also bought this one a month or so back. It works flawlessly. Not only does it have screws to secure the drive in the adapter, but it also has screws and screw holes to secure the adapter inside the optibay the same way the superdrive is secured. Works great.

20. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

21. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would like something beside plastic - yet still affordable.

22. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I really doubt you'll find it. Who cares though, really, you'll rarely use it seeing how you needed a secondary hard drive more than an optical drive.