Optibay questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XX55XX, May 29, 2011.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

I have a June 2009 13-inch MacBook Pro which I bought in August of 2009. I bought the base model with 2GB of RAM. Two years later, I am fancying an upgrade (and shelved my original idea of moving to a Thinkpad in the process).

My plans are:

1. Buy a 2x2GB DDR3 RAM kit (don't really need 8GB).
    2. Buy an Intel 320 Series 80GB SSD.
    3. Buy a Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Black HDD (for games and other storage).
    4. Buy a cheap Optibay on Ebay for $20.

However, I have been reading these forums and some people claim that Optibays have fried their drives. Are these things reliable/good? I don't want to buy several hundred dollars for parts and realize that they might not work in the long run.

Are these things reliable? Or was that simply an isolated incident?

2. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I definitely would get the 8Gb and larger SSD and hdd, but if these ones fit you...

I just want to share my experience with those el-cheapo "optibay's". It didn't fry my hard drive and it did work as advertised, but:
    - The disk was noisy and with a lot of vibrations
    - Sleep won't worked properly - disk was always spinning up and down and made click noises.

I ended up buying a real MCE optibay, and those issues went away. Same disk, same MBP.

I think most of the complains about "optibay" problems simply aren't based on the real optibay product.