Optibay Recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aboo, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks,

I am looking for optibay recommendations for my MBP 17" mid-2010. I am not sure which one to get. MCE offers one, which I have looked at, but they are pretty pricy at almost 100 bucks. Then I saw another website, newmodeus.com selling optical bay caddies for almost half that (~50 dollar range); and lastly even some on eBay for the 12$ range from US sellers.

Are there quality differences? Which is the preferred one to get? I am happy to spend the 100$ on the MCE Optibay if its really more reliable/better quality than the rest.

Thanks!

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

This thread answers all your questions and more. In short, they all work fine although sometimes you have to make some slight adjustments.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I used the newmodius adapter in my 15" 09 MBP:
    http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=220

4. mcfly2 macrumors member

I bought the MCE kit, and I'm not impressed with the quality. There's nothing special about the bracket itself, and mine was slightly bent so that I had to unbend it a little bit. The included USB Superdrive enclosure is nothing special, and is completely open on the slot end, not finished looking at all, and it requires 2 usb ports. Also, the Superdrive enclosure includes 2 screws to secure the drive inside the enclosure, and for the life of me I could only get one of them installed. It was nice that they included a screwdriver, but the screwdriver didn't fit my 2010 MBP screws.

5. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it looks like the newmodius is the cheapest at $42. If there is no quality difference, then I guess I might as well save the money and go with the cheapest!

Thanks again folks!

6. calvy macrumors 65816

i went with newmodus and have 0 regrets. even their customer service was great when i decided to buy a new unibody after just getting the optibay for my santa rosa mbp. they swapped me for a new one no problems.

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have the newmodeus one and have had no problems with it.