Optibay Sata1/2/3 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by albertdros, Jul 4, 2012.

1. albertdros macrumors member

So i want to put another hd in my mbp mid 2010. Was checking on amazon and found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BrainyDeal-...6ZJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341357862&sr=8-1

however, someone says that this bay is sata 1 only. How exactly does this work and does this matter for my mbp mid 2010? Should i buy a better bay that supports higher sata speed?

Im thinking of putting a Samsung Momentus XT 750GB next to my 120gb ssd stock drive.

thanks for answers :)

2. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Not sure about the 2010, but the early 2011 15" and 17" could only handle a SATA II drive in the optical bay, even though it was spec'd at SATA III. The 13" could handle SATA III just fine.

3. albertdros thread starter macrumors member

okay. Sata II is fine with me, but im actually talking about the alternatives to optibay. Since the optibay itself is not so cheap, and the one i was linking is only like 14 pounds BUT a user there says it only supports SATA 1, which is kinda slow i guess?

Main question is: i want a cheap (like 25 dollar) alternative to optibay, but i guess it has to support sata II, or does that not really matter? Because then i will just buy the amazon one.

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The mid 2010 MBP has SATA 2 on the optical drive interface. Check Mactracker (freeware).

5. albertdros thread starter macrumors member

i know that, but is the bay working on sata 2 too, or is this a noob question :D? Is the bay only a placeholder for the hdd actually?

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Ah, you were talking about the caddy, sorry...

The caddy's just a pass-thru with no chipsets or anything, like a cable if you will. So it should work at whatever speed the drive you put in supports.

7. albertdros thread starter macrumors member

ahhh ok thanks, yea thats helpfull. So i will just buy the cheap caddy one from amazon.