Optibay - Scorpio Black or Blue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cvs, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cvs macrumors member

cvs

Which 750GB should I get for the optibay?
    Blue is 5400 rpm, Black is 7200.

Blue has "Advanced Format" which I have no idea if it benefits the use on a macbook pro.
    Black is faster and probably louder, right?

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Some blacks (bjkt) models have a motion sensor which would be beneficial for a drive in the optibay :)

3. laser71 macrumors regular

Once you go black you never..... oh nevermind

The black is supposed to be an awesome drive. It's sitting here staring me in the fact actually, sitting below my monitor, waiting for my computer to arrive.

I was worried about noise and heat too, but apparently it is very quiet... or so I've heard.

4. wizzlez macrumors member

I just installed the black, it's great but I've never setup a dual drive system before and I dont know how to restore from my time machine onto it. Someone please help me, I got the 128 GB SSD in the new MBP and put the 750 GB Black HDD in the optibay, I want to restore from time machine which was from my early 08 MBP, but when i do it tells me my time machine backup is from an older mac and i cant do it. please help! when i try migration assistant it only lets me migrate to my ssd, do i need to install the OS on the HDD too and then try migration assistant? I want to restore from time machine so that all my settings will come back. please help asap anybody!

5. cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

The Black I see in the store here is the WD7500BPKT model.

Is BPKT the one with the motion sensor that we want?

The site I'm looking at says "Shockguard" and "SecurePark" but I'm sure they've copied it over from somewhere because many models say exactly the same.

6. CosmicBlend macrumors newbie

I put a 500gb Scorpio Black in my 2011 MBP right when it arrived and it has been running great. Not loud at all and almost no vibration from it.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

AFAIK, only the black has a model with motion sensor. These would be the models ending in BJKT. Trust me, I had a blue fail because of the lack of motion detection (or lack thereof), it wasn't pretty.

So, yes, get a black, with a serial number ending in BJKT, you''l be happier all the way around.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Except the BJKT is an OEM model and it is damn near impossible to find. You can only find BEKTs...

9. cvs, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

Just called the WD importer here and they told me that the BJKT model was for the 320GB Scorpio Black that had the free fall sensor.

They also said that the WD site is correct, these are the only available following models for the Black:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=130

WD7500BPKT
    WD5000BPKT
    WD5000BEKT
    WD3200BEKT
    WD2500BEKT
    WD1600BEKT

So there is only one black 750GB model, the BPKT with Shockguard and Securepark. Perhaps WD thinks that the free fall sensor is no longer needed as a feature? or is it "included" in the Shockguard?

I will order the 750GB BPKT, no other model is available.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Shockguard = Free-fall Sensor? But cvs, do you mean to say that all the models you've listed above have free-fall sensors?

11. cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

No, no, that list is the one from the WD site. These are the only available models for Scorpio Black, none is BJKT.

What I meant was that perhaps WD does not need to advertise that free fall sensor feature because either they do not have it in any model anymore or it is included in the Shockguard feature (and thus, available for all above models).

I really hope it is the latter :)

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I really wonder why they don't really sell free-fall sensor drives or advertise them as much anymore... I think you might be right about the ShockGuard = Free-fall sensor.

Did you call in and ask? (I can't because I am outside the States at the moment).

13. cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

I do not live in the US so I can only ask the local importer.
    They said all the new disks have the same features (both Blue and Black) and that they are safe to use in any laptop.

The WD site confirms that the shock and park features are there for both Blue and Black.

Differences from what I can tell?
    Blue= 5400rpm, 3 years warranty, a bit slower, a bit cheaper
    Black= 7200rpm, 5 years warranty, a bit faster, more expensive, perhaps noisier

From what I gathered so far, it is up to the user to decide their speed/noise requirements. I think I'll keep looking for threads that might give an insight on the noise of the Black. If it is silent enough, I'll go for it.

14. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

In that case, I would invest in the black. I have heard that the noise isn't really that bad.

It's the one I was planning on buying :) until this whole free-fall sensor mystery came up.

15. electronique macrumors 6502

Im sold from this thread.

Ive got a 2011 15" 2.2Ghz with 120GB SSD on its way.

Im going to wipe OSX and install again, ridding it off all the crap - ie garagband etc... Then install all my apps.

Then im going to install a Data Doubler with a 500GB WD Black... Move the location of my home folder.. Then move all my documents over from my iMac.

16. cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

I am coming from windows so I'll use Parallels for Win7 to run the windows apps.
    All the data will go to the Scorpio of course. I hope 128GB will be enough for OSX and applications.

17. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Take WD7500BPKT, I have one in hdd bay, and ssd in optibay instead of DVD.
    I have put ssd in DVD because dvd connection is not putting to sleep hdd as I have heard (I don't know if its true).
    It feels faster for data then older Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT (320gb). Much faster, and it's not vibrating as mentioned WD3200BEKT.

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Did you get the BTO Apple SSD or put in your own?

If Apple, what brand is it can can you do some speed tests with the free software from www.Aja.com ?

19. cvs thread starter macrumors member

cvs

I think we've reached the majority decision in favour of the 7500BPKT :D

I am also interested to know how the apple ssd and the optibay Scorpio work together.
    What about the noise from the Scorpio? Can you hear those 7200rpms ?

20. ApplePu macrumors regular

To all who installed a 750GB scorpio black in the optibay:

Did power consumption icrease a lot? I'm a bit afraid that I'm losing too much battery when installing ssd + scorpio black at the same time......

21. dieselm macrumors newbie

optibay scorpio black

i'm noticing a big hit to battery life with the scorpio black in the optical bay
    (vertex 3 in hdd bay). it's about 3.5-4 hours at idle and used to be a couple hours more than that.

22. davecheng macrumors newbie

I vote for the Scorpio Blue.

I have a Blue 750GB in the Optibay, and a 120GB Vertex 3 in the HDD bay of my Early 2011 13" MBP. I tried both drives in the machine, and they both exhibited aggressive head parking (after about 8 sec idle) which necessitated a power management hack to keep them spinning, at the ready (using hdapm).

But the idle noise was what won me over. It's probably only a few dB difference, but I use my machine in a bedroom and silent home office often enough to notice.

This always-spinning HD was also pretty noticeable on the battery life. I just eject the disk now if I want maximum battery—it sleeps the drive completely and I run off the SSD only.

23. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

My black has treated me well.

Go Scorpio Black.

24. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    8 months after the start of this thread I'm having this debate now too. I want to replace the hard drive in my 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro i5 (MacBookPro6,2). I currently have a 320gb hard drive.

I'd like to max out the hard drive size and it seems 1 TB is the highest I can go if I do the Scorpio Blue. If I do the Scorpio Black to get the 7200RPM 750gb is the max. I could live with that since I also want to put an SSD in there - just not right now because I a) want to spread out the costs a bit and b) need to figure out all the tools and accessories I need for the Optibay install as well as learn the process.

Some of the posts in the The Scorpio Black 750GB: How noisy is it? Vibrations? thread and in this thread too scare me a bit. But it seems most people are happy with the Black? If so I'd rather go with the Black. It's cheaper too - at least right now:

Scorpio Blue 1TB WD10JPVT at Newegg for $240 ($190 at B&H Photo Video) versus Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB at NewEgg for $180 ($120 at office depot)

25. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would advise you to wait.
    Buy an SSD + the an ebay optibay now but wait with buying the HDD.
    Due to the Thailand flooding HDD prices are still very high. If you don't need the space right now. Wait another 2 months for prices to get back to what they used to be. Just use the current too small HDD in the main bay and install a SSD. Upgrade the HDD later.

I personally would always go for a 5400rpm drive if there is an SSD as a system drive planned. 7200rpm only if it is the system drive too.
    I think it is too loud and for the stuff one usually stores on the secondary data drive random access is entirely unimportant for movies, music, images, other big files, backups all that matters is squential read/write and in that respect the higher density 5400rpm drives are equally fast. Density makes up for the slower spinning and 7200rpm drives are always a lot more noisy and sometimes they add vibration which is really bad imo. 5400rpm usually have never any noticeable vibrations.

With an SSD definitely go Scorpio blue or Samsung M8 but wait if you can.
    Unless you mean to use the HDD for a system drive, which I wouldn't advise. Would be a waste to buy the SSD in such a case.

Some Tests
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_scorpio_black_500gb_review_wd5000bekt
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_scorpio_blue_1tb_review_wd10jpvt
    http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_momentus_750gb_review_st9750420as
    And for 95-99% of all use cases of data drives the only metric that matters is squential read/write. Everything else won't result in any noticable difference.