Optibay screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w0mbat, Feb 15, 2014.

1. w0mbat macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Wanting to swap my dvd drive for a hdd I followed the ifixit guide from here http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Optical+Drive+Replacement/10771 but on step 8 I encountered the softest screws ever!

Needless to say they no longer resemble screw heads :mad:

Am I stuck here? Could I drill the heads out and if I did so how do I get another screw in there. Does this housing need to be screwed down or could it just be held in place with electrical tape?

Or should I just leave it well alone!?
    Cheers,
    w0mbat

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only way to get them out at this point (if you stripped the heads) is to drill them out. Either stop what you're doing and living with the setup as is, or finish the job and drill out the screws.

I'd take any surviving screws to a local electronics store like radio shack. I'm not sure where you can find them but I'm sure they exist somewhere

Good luck

3. w0mbat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm tempted to drill them out but I'm worried that I won't be able to find replacements and that it will mess up the wifi / bluetooth housing.

Has anyone managed to workaround the removal of the opibay whilst leaving these these two screws in place??

4. tallpaul macrumors member

I had similar problems recently with the two screws in the corner when I had to remove my optibay on my MBP13 to change the HDD to a new Samung 2TB.

Tried drilling and using a rubber band but the end I had to buy a dremel and cut a plain head grove into the top of the screw and then use a thicker flat head to remove it.

Have to say it worked very well

€15 from Apple for two new screws though!!

5. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

this post is almost stopping me swapping my dvd drive with hdd

is drilling a neccesasity for this procedure:eek:

6. maflynn, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if you strip the screw heads.

The screws are made from soft aluminum, great care must be taken to remove them. I think if you go slowly and use consistent and even pressure, you'll be fine

7. tallpaul macrumors member

I wouldn't let it put you off I would just ensure that as the other poster said apply even pressure and if you feel it about to slip stop and perhaps try the rubber band trick

I have 256GB SSD and 2TB HD in my MBP13 now, amazing machine that does everything I need effortlessly

I have it since Early 2011 and was considering changing to a 512SSD 8GB MBA 13 but when the MBA arrived I gave it to my wife.

The lightness and battery life of the MBA are amazon but still live my MBP13

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

...and making sure you have the correct size screwdriver helps prevent issues...

9. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

thanks for the info

I'm soon to order a new set of screwdrivers/torx drivers with 8gig ram from amazon uk

I 'lost' my phillips/torx drivers very soon after installing the evo sdd:mad:

my hdd has been sitting unused since :(

And ive tried various 'boot' dvd's -for my samsung evo ssd

without having windows installed i'm finding it impossible to 'upgrade' the ssd firmware version to EXT0BB6Q (my ssd installed with an earlier version EXT0ABOQ

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Would you care to elaborate.

Barney

11. JunkyJeff macrumors newbie

Cut a piece of rubber band and place it on top of the screw, then apply the screwdriver like you normally would and see if it catches grip which might allow you to take it out.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A drop of super glue may work as well, but you have to be very precise with that and the risk of getting it elsewhere is high.

13. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

Super glue has saved my ass a few times.

14. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

8 gig ram arrived today.....with new set screwdrivers from Amazon

Just the torx drivers and hdd bracket for my original hdd, that will be my macbook upgrade complete:)

(white screen Sat morning wasnt expecting to 'replace' the logic board via Apple store Glasgow at least it was replaced in 24 hours thankfully in time for skyfibre activation day today and ive got a working macbbook again:D

was a wee bit suprised 90 day (3 month) warranty for the replacement logic board i.e. aka refurb board:rolleyes:

Attached Files: