Optibay Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Twowildman21, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Twowildman21 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello, smart helpful Macrumors community, so...

I am working on an Optibay setup for my MacBook Pro 17"

My setup is as follows, right now I have a 256GB SSD. I am buying an Optibay and putting a 500GB 7200RPM HDD inside it. Now from what I have read the steps to installing would be taking my SSD out and installing the HDD in it's place then installing windows 7 onto the drive, then installing the bootcamp drivers as well. After that I will install the Optibay with that 500gb Hd. And put the SSD back in the internal place. Are these steps correct? Now I plan on partitioning half the 500gb hd to Mac OS x storage, do I do that inside Mac OS x or windows? And what type of partion nfs? Also is there anything specific I need to install to make sure everything runs well? How do I boot to windows and Mac OS x respectively during this whole process and for once it's installed? Thank you very much, sorry for such a lengthy post, I am just very afraid of messing something up.

2. Twowildman21 thread starter macrumors member

I have seen another post suggesting this installation method, would this work for me?

Put the 500GB HD in the enclosure that comes with the MCE Optibay, install windows 7 64Bit using the internal superdrive to that enclosure, then, put the 500GB drive in the optibay? Or will Windows 7 not allow to install windows 7 to the enclosure HD?

Thanks!