Optibay Superdrive not working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhelpsiPhan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Hey guys, Just installed an MCE Optibay in my 13" mid 09 MBP and love it! 2 HD's in my 13, Love it!

But the main reason i got it from MCE and not an El cheapo one is that it cam with a free external superdrive enclosure which i had heard were good quality.

I plug it in, It powers up, it takes a disc, spins, but is not recognised on the computer. Not through the finder or through System profiler! I haver e-mailed MCE about it but want to know what you guys think aswell

Thanks for any help

Jon

2. PhelpsiPhan thread starter macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

3. danetello macrumors 6502

You may need to format the hard drive before your macbook will recognize it. You can do this through Disk Utility.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Reading comprehension is a good thing. It's his SuperDrive (optical) that's not working, not the hard drive.

OP, I'd suggest calling MCE and seeing if they'll just send you a replacement case. Unless you're plugging something in wrong (either internally or externally), it's probably just bad. Warranty should cover that though.

jW

5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Did you run that piece of software that MCE sends with the Optibay?

Never used it, but IIRC, they include a small program that allows the Superdrive to be recognized by programs like Apple's DVD Player that generally won't work without an internal Superdrive.