Optibay + time machine backups

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J273, May 19, 2012.

1. J273 macrumors regular

Im considering replacing my superdrive for a optibay.using dual drives one being an SSD.

For those of you which run this setup ,Is it possible to have time machine backups located on the drive in the optibay - so the MBP basically backs up to itself rather than an external HD?

Is this possible?...will i notice any performance decrease ?

Thanks

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

No idea about time machine, as I don't find it particularly useful, but you might want to check out "carbon copy cloner" which you can use to make a bootable copy of your SSD

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

It will work flawlessly – and much faster than Time Machine onto an external drive – except if it was attached via Thunderbolt.

The question is whether it makes sense to back up internally. For instance, if your internal drive dies due to short-circuiting (e. g. water damage) the other one is likely to suffer the same fate, leaving you without a backup to recover from.

Doing both, however, internal and external backups, wouldn't be a bad idea.

4. jbzcar macrumors regular

Yeah it works great. I have mine backup from my SSD to my internal 1TB HDD. :)

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It should work very well and helps against failure of one of the HDD. If your Notebook falls into the bathtub it is likely that both HDDs die at the same moment though. Having it external the notebook can get lost, stolen or whatever and your data is still at home on the external drive.

It only helps against HDD failure I would at least backup to an external drive additionally. Use internal only for frequent backups (I accidentally deleted these files) but backup external too, is my recommendation.

6. jbzcar macrumors regular

Very true. I also have CCC set to clone my Time Machine directory to my 2TB WD MyBook whenever I connect it.

7. abhinav7333 macrumors member

I would recommend when you format the drive, put like a 300gb partition for time machine. It works perfect.