optibay troubles macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tecton, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tecton macrumors newbie

Just got an optibay
    http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/index.html

I had a problem with the computer not mounting the disc.
    But solved this by swapping the locations. ie put the old hard drive in the optibay holder into the superdrive. Put the new one in the native bay.

I copied my entire system onto the new disc in the native bay, and am booting from that as its faster.
    Its a 320gig 7200rpm disc.
    The old drive in the optibay/superdrive bay is 120gig 3200rpm.

Still having troubles like:
    occasional system freeze. Wake from sleep very slow. Sometimes 10 secs or more. Sometimes need to push power button.

The MacBook Pro is 2.26ghz 4gigs ram, only 1 or 2 gigs of my files on it. Up to date software (snow leopard 10.6.1).

MCE has virtually no tech support. Still waiting for a reply about why my disc didn't mount a week later (even though I already solved that).

Any ideas on why the bad performance?
    Do you think the different speed drives is messing things up?

2. timb macrumors regular

3. tecton thread starter macrumors newbie

This morning I was surfing the web...

Just a few tabs open and the mouse turned into the beach-ball. it could still move around, then after a minute or two the whole thing froze up. Couldn't move mouse or even bring up force quit. So had to do a hard shutdown using the power button.

Then restarted.
    Same thing happened again.

If this is a disc problem is there a way to test it?
    When I installed it I verified it, erased it/formatted it. Wouldn't that have caught anything though?

4. tecton thread starter macrumors newbie

Out with the optibay, in with the old.

Well after a few weeks of optibay problems I've taken the last step. I've removed it and put the original laptop configuration back in. Since then, no problems at all.
    It doesn't seem that I had a bad disk, as it's been running fine as an external disc drive. My guess is that the laptop system couldn't cope because the optibay disc was running at a higher rpm.
    I would like to know if anyone else has had troubles, and if so wether they had the same rpm speeds on both discs.

As it stands I can't recommend this product to anyone.

5. bblboy54 macrumors newbie

I actually got mine installed and running ok but my issues were of a different nature. MCE Technologies has absolutely horrible support. They didn't send me all of my order, they havent responded to ANY of my emails, and the CD they shipped me didnt have documentation for my Mac (even tho you have to specifically tell them what Mac you have). Worse yet, they list NOTHING about these things on their website at all. I ended up having to search the net for ways of installing the bay. I will say that now that its in, its working.... but I also will not be recommending this product.

6. bdcwarrior macrumors newbie

lots of the same problems

I've also been having a ton of issues, many of the same problems as tecton. Has ANYONE found a solution yet? I'd really like to be able to run 2 hard drives, and I don't know what the 13 inch unibodies have that would make it not work....is it a power issue?