Optibay troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guidoz, Apr 5, 2015.

1. guidoz macrumors member

I've got troubles for a few months with my MBP.
    Troubles started more than one year after I had mounted an optibay into it. They were solving some time (5-10 days) after removing the optibay, and starting again some time (5-10 days) after mounting it back in... so the optibay is my main suspect.

For those willing to dig into details, here is a resume: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20908854#post20908854

Currently, without optibay, I only have a problem with "n" key not working, which I suspect being totally unrelated (I suspect they might have a common original cause though: I live on a small humid island, and I'm afraid humidity might have damaged both the optibay and the key).

So my question is: can optibay break? I mean, is there some circuits inside that can cause the problems and therefore I'd solve by getting a new one, or it might be something on the motherboard (my other suspect)? Shall I get a new optibay and if so shall I just buy the cheapest, or there is different quality/reliability?

Thanks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Right. So I read the linked thread. Your very intermittent problems sound remarkably like a problem with either the SATA cable connecting the SSD in the main drive bay or with the one connecting the optibay kit in the optical bay (or both). That SATA cable is part of the computer, so if that's the problem it doesn't have anything to do with either your SSD or your optibay kit.
    If, though, as you say, everything is stable now without the optibay kit installed, that supports the theory that the problem is either with that SATA cable or your optibay kit (and not with your main bay SATA cable or SSD).

Sure, an optibay kit can break (anything can), and that could be your problem. Which one do you have?
    If I were you and were to get a new one, I'd get the OWC Data Doubler.

The easiest and cheapest component to replace would probably be the optibay kit, so I think I would start there.

Also, your keyboard problem is completely unrelated.

3. guidoz, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

guidoz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer.

Yeah, as far as it's not something on the mobo, I also think it might be either the cable or the optibay itself.

So I think I'll try getting a new optibay.
    the one I have is probably some no-brand from china.. can't really remember.

I checked the one you suggested... consider I'm from Italy, so shipping from US would be slow and pricey. I tried to look for that on the italian amazon/ebay but it's expensive even when shipped from europe (45-50 euros, which seems really a lot to me for such a simple object. the old one was some 20 euros).

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The old one broke ;)

5. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

If I were 100% sure i'd agree with you.

What I'm afraid of is... spending some other money only to find the problem coming back..

Anyway, I guess my best option is to give it a try. Just please let me know if you know a reliable cheaper alternative.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Mine is a Titan brand, has worked flawlessly for nearly 3yrs, and runs with the SSD in the Optical bay and full speed without errors. In contrast my HDD bay factory SATA cable went bad a month ago...quick fix to replace though.

7. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

ok, I ordered a new optibay (OWC one) and mounted it like 3 weeks ago... everything seems smooth at the moment.. so hopefully I have solved.

Only on some occasions (it happened twice yesterday, another time 15 days ago) I have the mbp switching off suddenly. not sure if it might be related.
    And still I have the problem with the keyboard (n key, and only that, not working)... I have to figure out how to fix that :\

8. guidoz, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

guidoz thread starter macrumors member

ok, I guess I talked too early...

after many days working fine (even while travelling around europe and hence not taking that much care of it) just today I'm experiencing a lot of those sudden shutsdown. It seems they happen especially when I do some pressure (very little is enough) on the closer part of the case (below keyboard, nearby the trackpad).

Any cloue of what that could be?