Optibay worth it for 17" macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Anyone here use the optibay on their 17" unibody macbook pro?

Is it worth it? Do you guys know if it'll support a 1tb scorpion blue hdd?

I'll be keeping my ssd drive in the original hdd bay and add the conventional hdd in the optibay.

Do you guys notice any decrease in battery life?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Can't do a 1TB drive, as those are all 12.5mm at the moment. Biggest you can fit in there is a 750GB 9.5mm drive.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Do you guys know if you can install windows via bootcamp into the drive in the optibay?

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have on in my new 17" and it works great. No problems at all.

too be honest, I don't really know about the battery life because I only had the MBP for a week before the Optidrive went in to it.

I am pretty sure you can install Windows to the second drive, I think I read that here. I haven't messed with bootcamp because I have another Laptop with Windows installed on it.

5. x0r-lord macrumors member

I'd be willing to bet my 15" uMBP boots faster then your 17" because of your optibay.

never notice random slow downs? or unbelievably reduced drive-to-drive transfer rates....

IMO skip the optibay solution, find something else, or use an external.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

From Dead Cold boot to Desktop in 19.9 Seconds.

7. rebby macrumors 6502

I don't have any problems with my "Optibay" configuration either. Boots fast, disk I/O speed is great. No random delay or other odd issues to speak of either. I'm very happy with my upgrade. Full details on my upgrade here -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1004721

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not True. I have a 1TB installed in the Optibay along with a 500GB Hybrid Drive in the Stock bay on my Pre-Unibody 17" MacBook Pro

Yes. You can install Windows on the second drive. You cannot partition the second drive using Boot Camp though.

Not true. If it's both SATA, it'll run at SATA. There's no difference here.

9. x0r-lord macrumors member

Yeah, it's true.it has nothing to do with a SATA interface, It's something with the Optibay (I don't own one, so haven't been able to thoroughly test it),
    and apple doesn't use SATA connections for the super-drive, they use Apple Proprietary SATA, which is why you need the Optibay in the first place.

I've helped people deal with beach balling problems before, and removal of the MCE Optibay instantly solved the problem.
    heres an example on this forum (recently):
    Beachballing

and for the record, you could install any compatible OS you want onto the Optibay drive. and as long as the EFI handles it properly, you can boot off it. you can also boot off a USB hard-drive... (I haven't tried FW).

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Then make your own ghetto version of it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=680228

I never got any beachballs from the Optibay on the MacBook Pro or on the iMac.

Edit: You shouldn't use a boot drive in the Optibay. The Optibay is for secondary storage, not primary. This is user error here.

12. Ksb-online macrumors regular

can you link me to your terabyte drive pls? how much was it? thanks...

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

14. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

You can put the 1TB WD hard drive in the regular bay, it will fit, and put your old one in the optibay?

15. tjxlee macrumors newbie

I am trying to install windows 7 64bit on my ssd, which is on my optibay dvd slot. The SSD has OS X on it also. Is this possible with an external superdrive and bootcamp?