Optical 5.1 on MacBook: Center and right channels switched on mkvs

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Vader, May 22, 2009.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I recently got a nice new surround sound system to go with my big screen tv. Of course to try this out, I decided to watch the Transformers rip that I have, 1080p mkv. As I was watching, I noticed all the voice was coming from my right front, no matter where the person was on-screen. Whenever something panned across the screen it went left-right-center instead of going smoothly left-center-right. Safe to say the right and center speakers are switched. So I hit the test on the speakers and all the speakers were set up properly, sound came through where it should. So I watched a DVD on my computer, and the sound came through the correct channels!

So my question is, can I edit the audio track on these .mkvs (I already saved them as .movs, hopefully that is not a problem) and switch the right and center channel outputs?

I can switch the speakers manually of course, but since this is only on some of the movies I watch, I was hoping that I could do it an easier way so that I do not have to be switching wires all the time.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Does it apply to all mkv's? Or just this one? If it's the only one, then it sounds like a bad rip.

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

I messed around today, and realized that in QT, I can hit :apple: j and then click on the audio track - audio settings tab, and I can change the speaker which each output goes to. So, I switched the right and center, saved it, and watched it with no problems, the sound was coming out of all the correct speakers!