Optical & Analog Audio Same Time?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by xfiring, Oct 23, 2009.

1. xfiring macrumors member

Is it possible to have the analog audio and optical audio active at the same time for an AppleTV?

I guess the same question would be for HDMI and analog audio too?

Thanks.

2. phormality macrumors newbie

What kind of Mac do you have? Most have the optical and analog audio going through the same port so you kind of have to pick.

There are USB audio adaptors that will let you do some additional things, you might want to look into going that route

3. xfiring thread starter macrumors member

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I never tried it, but I do know that audio will carry through HDMI and optical at the same time on the ATV. I'm assuming it will work for analog as well.

5. phormality macrumors newbie

I’m pretty sure you either use HDMI or you use the Component, you can’t mix and match

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

All audio outputs of the Apple TV operate at the same time.

The exception would be when you have created a movie with only an AC3 audio track, you will not get any audio at the analog outputs.

A.

7. xfiring thread starter macrumors member

8. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Right. I use this feature all the time. My receiver requires an analog signal for the "Zone 2" speakers and I use the digital HDMI output for everything else.

9. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I have the same setup. I use HDMI for zone 1 and analog for zone 2. Before I bought my new receiver, I used optical for zone 1 and analog for zone 2. Works great either way.