Optical Audio Input Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glennthayer, Nov 30, 2008.

1. glennthayer macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone!

I have a Macbook Pro 2.16 and I want to use the optical audio input (line in) to record from my digital mixer into Logic. I get digital optical out through the headphone jack (works great and sounds great), but I can't get audio into the Mac. I'm using a Midiman CO2 to convert the S/PDIF signal from the mixer into an optical TOSlink cable. I've tried everything I can think of, it just doesn't see the digital signal. Used as a regular input, it records fine, when I send an optical digital signal, it doesn't see it.

I can route the signals into all of my studio gear between each other with the exception of into my Mac. Any suggestions?

Thanks a million!

Glenn

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Now are you sure the Toslink cable is good? I had a problem before when my cable got cut somehow (not all the way, just a bit).

3. glennthayer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've swapped the cable and it works perfect on the digital output.

4. glennthayer thread starter macrumors newbie

It just doesn't work on the "input". I can't figure out why...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you choose the option in:

System Preferences --> Sound --> Input ?

6. glennthayer thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it selected in my audio/midi setup, but it doesn't show up as digital in, just as "built-in input". However, the audio output shows digital. When I unplug the output, the digital option goes away, then comes back when I plug it in. It's strange that the input won't work the same way. I've tried every way the I know to make it work.

I'm fairly new to the Mac. My audio card on my PC died two days ago (Creamware Pulsar, 16 ADAT in and out). I was routing my signal through a Yamaha O1V digital mixer. I track the mono voice in Sound Forge, then load it on the server and pull it into Logic for voice over production. Since the death of the Pulsar, I figured I would use the S/PDIF from the mixer into the Mac and just track and produce inside Logic.

Any other ideas?

7. glennthayer thread starter macrumors newbie

I have swapped cables, and I even plugged everything into my Macbook (not the pro) to see if it would work. The same thing happens on my Macbook as it does on the MBP.

I guess the better question would be: "Has anyone successfully used the digital optical input on the Macbook or MBP?"

8. glennthayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally found the issue...

The CO2 interface was faulty and would only give digital out not in. Got two Macs together and swapped optical interfaces directly. Worked fine. Now I just need another interface...

Thanks for all of your help!

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are these cables actually sold at places aside from two online stores that I've never heard of? I have no clue why Apple doesn't sell this headphone jack to optical cable at their store since their products are about the only ones that use it. I'm headed to an Apple Retail Store tomorrow, so I hope they have one there.