Optical Audio to Digital Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by faraz.yashar, Jun 8, 2010.

1. faraz.yashar macrumors newbie

I'm looking to use the speakers (Logitech X-540) with my laptop with 5.1... but this is an analog system (has green/black/orange inputs), and Macbook Pros only output with optical through mini-TOSLink. What's the best (read cheapest) device for decoding the optical output to analog?

If this won't work, I'm probably willing to shell out a bit more cash (Z-5500 perhaps). If you have a digital 5.1 system recommendation ($350 or less), let me know.

Manual for X-540 speakers: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=7*z8_Y1k&p_li=&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=5524&p_created=1160578991&p_olh=0

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

The output on your macbook pro is both digital and analog...you can use a standard analog cable with a 3.5mm plug.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

But that won't give the OP 5.1 sound.

4. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

If you get Logitech Z-5500 speakers you could use a mini to toslink cable.

I have the X-540 speakers and I wouldn't recommend them because the subwoofer simply isn't good enough for me and you cannot customize the levels and etc. with the controller well.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

a USB sound card should do what you want. Look at M audio rather than creative. But really a better solution would be to get the speakers with a digital input or stereo speakers. There are plenty of studio quality book shelf sized monitor speakers, you can get for less than the Logitech speakers and will sound much better.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d-keywords=studio+monitors&sprefix=studio+mon