Optical Bay Caddy Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brodNS93, Aug 12, 2011.

1. brodNS93 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a caddy off of eBay that will allow me to install my stock Macbook Pro 2011 500Gb Toshiba HDD in the optical bay with a Vertex 3 SSD in the traditional hard drive bay. I received the caddy and was going to install it when I noticed a sticker on it that said Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s. I know that the 2011 MBP has SATA 3 in the optical bay, so I'm wondering if the caddy will limit my hard drive to only 1.5Gb/s. Thanks for any help you can give!

2. brodNS93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump

Will it limit the transfer speeds of my hard drive or does it not matter?

3. Darklandman macrumors newbie

with a traditional hardrive. sata speed is unlikely to be the limiting factor. As long as your vertex 3 is connected with sata 3/6 you'll be fine

4. whitehat09 macrumors newbie

I just installed my stock hdd in my optical bay, and also bought the caddy from ebay. I don't remember seeing a sticker but I ran the AJA Systems Tool to benchmark it, I got read/write speeds of about 80MB/s. I think the mechanical limitations of the hdd would limit data rate and you should see similar speeds even if it is sate I. But isn't the caddy just an adapter (that connects the hdd to the logic board ribbon cable)? I don't think theres anything in the caddy that could limit the sata interface to a slower rate, but I could be wrong.

5. brodNS93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think the caddy would limit anything, as it is pretty much just a bridge between the mobo and the HDD, but the sticker made me worry a little. I also agree that the transfer speed shouldn't limit performance, since the SSD is definitely connected with SATA III and that's what I'll be running the OS and apps off of.

6. brodNS93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anybody confirm that my transfer speeds won't be limited by the caddy? The specs off of the Toshiba site say the drive is capable of 3Gb/s, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can actually get up to that speed in the real world. I'm wary of installing it without knowing, as I spent a lot of money on this whole setup and I want it to be as fast as possible.