Optical Bay HD on a SR MBP: What about GPU warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amusiccale, Dec 12, 2009.

1. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Dilemma: The optical drive has finally died on my 2.2 SR MBP ('aluminum' body style) and I am now well out of warranty, so I'm interested in just swapping an ATA-to-SATA optical bay caddy and HD in its place. The problem, though, is whether this will create problems down the line when my computer's GPU fails (I've already had 1 logic board replacement for the 8600m issue). Would I be able to send in my computer for warranty work with a hard drive in the optical bay, when the time comes? Would they have any reason/grounds on which to reject the warranty claim if I swapped it back out before sending it in?

Any thoughts?

2. whitethunder macrumors newbie

I don't believe an actual Apple Store would be able to help you out, but an AASP more than likely would. They just need the board to generate a code that confirms the nVidia chip is the part that failed. If thats the case they can replace the board under the 8600 Quality program.

AASP's are a lot more lenient than actual Apple store's with DIY mods and since they are authorized, there is nothing to worry about.

Apple has to return the unit to you in factory condition, where an AASP can just concentrate on specific parts (Useful for macs with accidental damage that apple wont touch)

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A wise choice would be to swap out the optical bay caddy with the OEM SuperDrive before taking it for service to Apple.