Optical Bay HDD Swap 2006?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carlosm86, Feb 1, 2014.

1. carlosm86 macrumors member

I tried searching for an hour or so but cant seem to find a topic on it, is this possible? I find hints online that you can but then the tutorials go on with 2008 models.

verdict?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Well here is what I've done for a Blu Ray burner in the second bay. Under the big fan shroud underneath the optical drives there are 2 hidden SATA ports. You can follow guides to take the fan out then route a SATA cable to the optical drive bays and then get a molex to SATA power adapter. Find a bracket and you are set!

Attached Files:

3. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

you beautiful, beautiful man! I also just bought an OWC 2.5" to 3.5" macpro converter so much time saved and I dont have to go use my cousins drill press and measure stuff.

I love this place, I used to casually surf the forums but only recently started to mod my 1,1.

4. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

OK, so that made me take the side panel of the ol' MP off once more.

With fingers of dexterity, a right angled sata cable, and a spudger, I don't reckon it would be necessary to remove the fan units to get the sata cable on to one of those motherboard ports….

Hmm… I have an Inateck USB 3.0 card that needs sata power sat on my desk here.

5. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

I just installed that card but cant find the appropriate drivers for mine. :( do you know where to get it?

6. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I'm running Mavericks, and they're built in to the OS.

7. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

damn it, can my 1,1 run it with out sucking?

2.66 quads
    16GB RAM
    Soon to be SSD Boot
    1GB Video

8. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I'm running a 5870 I picked up cheap off ebay. No SSD, 16gb RAM, 3.0 quads, a lot of guys are running the 2.66s with Mavericks.

Full disclosure - I've firmware and SMC updated my machine to 2,1 specs - check out the rom forum at Netkas'.

There's loads of info in the USB 3.0 mega thread lower down, possibly over the page on this very sub forum.

9. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

seems its as simple as installing mountain lion to get the drivers. Honestly I see no need now that I think about it to update to Mavericks other than just to say "I have Mavericks".

Now to get right angle connection SATA's

10. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

so all I would need is a right angle sata connector? any additional power supplies to get the HDD working?

11. Robert Davies, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I just checked out a Samsung EVO I've got here.

If you use just the one optical drive you need a 4pin Molex to SATA power cable.

If you are using to optical drives, you'll need a Molex power splitter cable.

I've just attached the SATA right angle cable to the motherboard port, on my board it only fits in one port because there's a cable blocking access to the other.

REMOVE THE FANS to fit that cable, trust me!

I tried to fit a normal cable, ie not a right angled cable, but the fans would not fit back in because of it.

12. carlosm86 thread starter macrumors member

having just replaced my cpu's I wouldnt do it any other way. My time is much more valuable then trying to fish thru it blindly. I ordered a kit someone put up that has all cables necessary for the HDD swap. Im just hoping a HDD doesnt make that much noise in the opticalbay.