optical bay + OCZ + raid 0 = make me crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vicentk, Dec 1, 2010.

1. vicentk, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

vicentk macrumors regular

vicentk

My MBP is 5,1, at last few months I use 2 HDD in raid 0, it fine and smooth, but after I upgrade 2*SSD ( OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G ) the nightmare is coming, only see one SSD (in org hdd bay), the optical bay never see, at first time I thought may be SSD is dead, so try to replace them, both SSD is work, second thought is optical bay dead, so put the hdd back, it work. I don't what's going wrong, I just thought optical is not fit OCZ, may I know who is using OCZ in raid 0 please kindly tell me which optical you using.
    Thank you

2. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

Or did anyone use dual ssd in MBP, please tell me your hardware thank's

3. uMBPi728 macrumors member

I have dual SSDs (OWCs, refer to my signature) in my 17 uMBP and have no problems. OSX/apps in the original HDD bay and data in the optibay: the standard setup.

I hope to do a RAID 0, in the future, but, for me, it is just more work and effort to do RAID 0. I'll have to really plan out the switch to make sure that it will work to my satisfaction. Don't want to jump into it without a good plan and definite need.

Anyway, hope someone can give you guidance and answers.

BTW: Just came back from Hong Kong today. Wonderful place, wish I stayed longer...next time.

Mel

4. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

Thank for your reply first.
    For my plan, uMBP is for work and present for customer,all office data is in ext-HDD, because every day need keep working at home, that HDD also back up at home and office using Time Machine.
    Hope you will come back soon.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, the risks of a RAID 0 in a laptop is too high for me. Lose one drive and your data is toast.

I hope the OP runs a daily backup.

SSD is plenty fast, what advantages is there to RAID the drives especially given the risks of RAID 0 presents

6. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

sure I know that, so my data is in ext-hdd.

7. skunnykart macrumors regular

OP you are not alone!

I have tried ocz vertex 2 in the optibay only to see a blank white screen forever.

I have 2 owc ssd in raid 0 works fine. ocz is a no go for me mbp 13 inch 2010.

8. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

may I know which optibay you use ? Unfortunately before I bought OCZ, I can't read and news or post.

9. skunnykart macrumors regular

my optibay is from MCE. it works fine with owc ssd, other spindle hdd that i have tried like the stock hitachi, seagate and wd. momentus xt works well too but not the vertex 2.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's seems to be a bit of "chatter" about OCZ and 13" MBPs not playing nice. So much so, I opted for the pricier OWC model and that does work fine on my 13" MBP

11. almostinsane macrumors regular

I use two Crucial 256GB SSD's in RAID 0 and I haven't had any problems at all.

12. vicentk, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

Dual SSD :D :D :D
    The optibay is come from max upgrades
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]