Optical bay SSD for Macbook Pro 2,2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NorCalLights, Feb 20, 2011.

1. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone out there replaced the optical drive with a SSD in a Macbook Pro 2,2? (that's the first C2D generation)

I'm thinking about going down that route (my optical drive is dead, and the machine is out of warranty anyway) but I can't find an adaptor to mount the SSD.

OWC only has mounts for the unibody machines.

Thanks!

2. brdnboy macrumors regular

The optical drive in your MacBook Pro uses a pata/uata connector vs SATA like the newer models. Most if not all SSD's use SATA connections so installing one into the optical bay is not possible.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

There are many PATA to SSD/HDD optibays available...

4. brdnboy macrumors regular

I know, but the OP asked about SSD's, and I don't think there are many/any SSD's worth purchasing that are PATA.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It uses a PATA connector to the computer and SATA connector to the drive, whether it be SSD or HDD.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The drive goes into the optibay...please dont try to help on a subject you know nothing about.

7. brdnboy macrumors regular

I know quite a bit on the topic and am just trying to help, please don't be rude.

You can use a device that has an adapter like this: http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306

but it will defeat the purpose of an SSD which is speed. PATA is a slow legacy connection at this point and will be saturated by any SSD, particularly when the signal is being converted on a bridge (even slower).

8. brdnboy macrumors regular

Also, depending on your needs OP, you could put an SSD with a SATA connection in the HDD area for native SATA Speed, and get a decent size PATA HDD (or use the current SATA HDD with the optical bay caddy previously linked) for the optical bay and have the best of both worlds, albeit with slower HDD read/writes.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

PATA 133, which is the port used for the optical drive in the early Intel notebooks, have a optimal speed of 133MB/s.

These systems only have a 1.5Gbps SATA port also. Therefore, you only get 150MB/s optimal speed.

My point is, regardless of where the OP puts the SSD, in the original hard drive location or Optibay, it will still be limited heavily compared to the newer SATA-II ports with 3.0Gbps (300MB/s)