Optical Cable for Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tianuk3, Jan 8, 2008.

1. tianuk3 macrumors member

Hey guys!

Ok I have heard that the Macbook can accept optical cable.. (so i can connect it to my surround sound), but I tried connecting the optical cable (the 360 optical cable) from my macbook to the surround sound and it doesnt fit in the macbook, it seems i need a more phono shaped optical cable. Does anyone know which one I can use? (which works). Im in the UK (if you give me a store). Cheers, Many thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

thanks mate! ill order one now...really hope it works..cant wait to listen to everything in surround!

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Macbook doesn't output surround, it passes it through so your source - i.e. DVD - has to be Dolby 5.1, or the receiver has to 'fake' it.

5. darthmullet macrumors member

Not entirely true... it outputs surround sound through a digital stream, rather than discreet channels. So you need a decoder that accepts whatever format you are outputting. Almost any modern AV Receiver (Denon, Yamaha, etc.) will support optical digital input and decode it to analog.

And it will work fine as a system output too, i.e. with Core Audio applications such as iTunes, Quicktime, etc.