Optical cable for stereo connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by the horse, Apr 8, 2008.

1. the horse macrumors newbie

Being my first post as a member i'd like to say hi to everyone. Anyway down to business. I have a new MBP and would like to know 1) If it is worth upgrading my current analogue cable running to my sony CMT-CP500MD stereo to the digital option, is the sound quality noticeably better? 2) there is quite a large distance between my stereo and where my laptop general is, about 7m, where can i find a cable that has the proper connections and is about this long? The optical connection in my stereo is a toslink. On ebay there is a 10m option but only with duel toslink ends. thanks guys

2. zaney macrumors regular

To be honest, the only advantage I can see to an optical link is 5.1 sound. Good for movies/games, but pretty much irrelevant for music.
    Unless you're an audiophile and have very good ears and a VERY good speaker system, you probably won't hear the difference.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, anyone.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

They make an adapter for the toslink cable, looks like this and just snaps on one end so you can use it in your MBP.

I think it is worth it for the little differences in 5.1, like a certain sound coming from only the back left speaker...personal preference really.

Attached Files: