Optical cable not detected??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nicnic77, Jan 11, 2008.

1. nicnic77 macrumors member

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

I don't remember having to do anything terribly special when I hooked mine up (I'm using the Belkin version of the same cable).

Have you tried restarting?

3. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Doesn;t do anything here. All I see are "Inbuilt Speakers" where I assume I should be seing Optical out or something??

4. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

Do you see the light yourself? Depending on your audio equipment those aren't always on by default...

5. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

The light automatically comes on when I switch the source on the amp..

I switched into Bootcamp and the RealTec driver detects when the optical cable is plugged in/unplugged, but it sees it as an analgue source, not digital, plus it doesn't seem to carry any sound through.

Very weird....

6. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. The cable comes with a 3.5mm jack, which fits into BOTH the optical and microphone jack. I get audio when I connect to the microphone port, but not the optical port, which defeats the purpose of a DAC as the the microphone port is analogue...

Do I need a different adaptor on the end of the optical cable?? Or are they both the same connections?

7. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I'm being retarded. Didn;t realise there is one optical/analogue in and one optical/analogue out.... Works fine now :)