Optical Dead, boothcamp still possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Perplexe, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Perplexe macrumors newbie

Here we go, I have a macbook pro2,2. A Core 2 Duo 2,33 2007. After a pilot update for the optical drive, it died and i couldn't get it replaced.

I want to install windows via bootcamp, how can i manage that without an optical drive? I've heard of using usb, is that possible for a mac? The reason for all that hassle is Starcraft 2 Beta... Got in but can't play it.

This macbook pro is the only computer I have and i don't want to buy a external optical drive. Is there a solution?

Thank you in advance.
    Cheers

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like your out of luck. I was thinking this would be like having a Macbook Air and installing regular software, but seems like you have to have a optical drive connected for boot camp because of the partitioning and the burning of the drivers onto a disc, I assume. Check this link. I believe the easiest solution is to get an external optical drive even though you don't want to.

EDIT 2: Or we could both learn how to search. Check this thread.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Perplexe thread starter macrumors newbie

It really doesn't seem like an easy feat... It actually scares me quite allot and seems quite long... Not sure i want to try this... eh...

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

well..it is possible if you are trying to install win 7...just download the boot camp drivers and follow the instructions here.

6. Stepint0sh macrumors member

Or borrow someone's external USB or FireWire Optical Drive. Works great, since I have two harddisks in my MacBook Pro I used this as the solution. It's perfect! :)

Borrow or buy one! :)

7. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I faced the same issue, and to be honest after spending an inordinate amount of time finding a work around, I decided to simply borrow an external drive. Trust me, this is the easiest solution...;)

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have an SSD and a hard drive in the optical bay, so yeah having a USB DVD drive is a must.

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

guys...trust me..it is really not complicated installing win 7 without a drive...The only constraint is to have PD5...I have installed (and uninstalled) Win 7 plenty number of times (had a hard time deciding :eek:)

10. llamaswill, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

llamaswill macrumors newbie

Alternatives

If that's all you want, you should insider either just setting up a VM (Windows 8 is a free download and supported by VBox, a free app) or using Wine. I have no clue how to actually do it with Wine, but if you use WineBottler (another free download) then you should be able to get it to work.

Good Luck

P.S: have you brought it to the apple store and asked them to fix the optical drive?

Links:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads for VBox
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 for Windows 8 (dev preview, get the 64-bit version without developer tools)
    http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ for WineBottler

If you can't figure out how to use anything, just search it on Youtube. I figured all of this stuff out by Googling it and watching videos about it.