Optical disk problems - POLL

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GeekGuys, Feb 19, 2012.

?

Have you had problems with iMac Optical Drives?

1. Yes, and a right royal pain in the ass it was too!

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No, never, nada, nyet nein, non

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Blasphemy. Apple only make perfect products

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. None of the above....what was the question again?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Yes, I know this is an old conversation but I have a 2008 iMac 24" and I have been plagued by Optical drive problems. I have had a large number of disks get stuck and I am fed up of taking the iMac apart to get the disk out.
    I am reluctant to buy a new drive at $80 or pay Apple to replace it for even more as I just feel it will happen again.

So, this poll is to find out how many more people have had this issue with an C2D/i5/i7 iMac as I can't be the only person!

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

My '08 24" had this issue and Apple replaced it under Apple care. Haven't had a problem since. The odd part is that I rarely use the thing. In fact, I plan on deleting it from my next iMac (replace with ssd). I only used it when I got digital copies of movies when I bought a blu-ray.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I have experienced so many problems I have ended up using a PC to burn stuff.

Maybe that's part of Apple's plan to encourage users to forget cds and dvds? :D

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've burned so many CD and DVD's on my older iMacs drive I swear it should be dead by now, but it is not.

The only problem I had with that drive was that it was unable to read an old disk that no other drive could read, was a disk issue not the drive.

That iMac is over 4 years old, almost 5 years now.

6. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Haven't had a problem with the one on my mid 2011 iMac so far.