Optical drive acting funky after display replacement? WTF?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride9650, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

So, I just had the display on my Macbook pro replaced today due to an issue with the hinges.

The work was of course flawless, after all its probably not that hard to change the display, but if you're ever in the Los Angeles Area and need your mac fixed, Mac Enthusiasts is AMAZING. Apple told me it'd be 5-7 days to replace the display after they have the part, Mac Enthusiasts did it in 1!

Sorry bout that, still amazed at the service, anywho..

despite the excellent and fast service, I unfortunately discovered a bit of a problem, the optical drive now rattles whenever its in use! I know its supposed to make some noise, but what I'm hearing now is distinctly different then the normal range of sounds.

Given that appears that replacing the display doesn't seem to involve touching anything else, as well as the fact that it was working perfectly yesterday, I'm a bit baffled as to how this happened. I suspect something is just loose, but I'm not sure.

Mac Enthusiasts appears to only do sales related stuff on the weekend, so I have to wait until next week to take it back to them, in the meantime I was going to take it to the Apple store. Given that most of the genius bar people generally have no clue whats going, I was hoping someone more enlightened might have an idea of the issue and provide some info I can convey to the genius to try and and get this resolved quickly.

Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't know the exact process it takes to repair the hinge or display but it might be that they had to remove the SuperDrive or some screwed near the SuperDrive to get at the hinges/display. When putting it back, they might've not tightened a screw or part which is resulting in the abnormal behaviour.

3. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I'm thinking it is too, but the guy claims that nothing else is touched in the process, and based on the ifixit teardown, I'm inclined to agree with him.

I should probably mention that, aside from the noise, the drive still works.

Well, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this today.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what might be the issue?

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

No... you don't have to touch the optical drive when changing the screen... I did it before.

Maybe if you are adventurous enough you can open up and check the 3 black screws securing the optical drive.