Optical drive acting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akwild, Dec 4, 2007.

1. akwild macrumors newbie

I just got a new Macbook 2.2 SR a few weeks ago. I've been importing my music collection into iTunes. After several discs of working fine, the drive will start doing the following:

After inserting a disc, the drive will spin up and OSX will recognize that a disc has been inserted with an icon on the desktop. ITunes will start to get track info from CDDB, and immediately after getting it, the disc disappears from both the desktop and iTunes, and I have to eject the disc and reinsert it to import it.

This occurs periodically at first, and then gets more frequent to the point of occurring with every disc I insert.

After restarting, it will work fine for several discs, then slowly start recurring to the point that it does it with every disc.

I'm concerned. Should I be? Any thoughts on how to remedy this situation? Is it hardware or software in origin?

2. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    I would say it is your cdrom drive. Take it to the apple store or somewhere like that to see what they can do

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Make sure you can recreate the issue. If you can go to the Apple store and show them that the issue occurs with a few different CDs, I'm sure they'd replace the drive.

4. fahqu001 macrumors newbie

I know this thread is super old and being a long time reader, and not too often of a poster, I figured I'd search before I get blasted for not using the search function, lol.

Anyway, my issue is kind of like the original poster's. I insert a cd and the majority of the time, itunes recognizes it and I can import it with no issues. But the past few days, I've been taking a lot of my cd's and importing them into itunes. Well about 10 times out of 50 cd's, I have had to eject the disk and reinstall it for itunes to recognize it. If it happen once or twice, it would be palatable; however, it's been a lot more than just a few times that itunes did not recognizing it and it's been bothering the ***** out of me.

So, is this issue common? I figured that I'd try and clean the optical drive and if that didn't work, hopefully I don't have to have the drive replaced. Or, in your opinion is this not a hardware issue and possible itunes(I'm current with 9.2).

Thanks