Optical Drive Firmware Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hand of Ike, May 6, 2015.

1. Hand of Ike macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Panasonic (MATSHITA) UJ-265 Optical Drive installed internally in my iMac (Late 2009, Yosemite). There is a firmware update available for the drive, but it's on an .exe file. Quick question if I was to update the firmware via a Windows laptop would the firmware update apply to the drive under OS X?

No explained that very well so, if I update the firmware from 1.0 to 1.1 in Windows, will the firmware be 1.1 if I then plug it back into my Mac?

The reason I ask is that the drive is great but sometimes it doesn't see or grab the disc when you insert it. I was hoping that a firmware update would solve this.

Also if I was to install Windows via BootCamp on my Mac, would it be able to launch .exe firmware updates and update the related hardware?

Many thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Firmware is contained entirely within the device, so updating on a Windows machine - or through Boot Camp - would work.

Is it a third-party drive or provided by Apple? Some Apple-supplied drives have historically used different firmware, but I can't say whether that's still the case.

3. Hand of Ike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, that's what I thought but wanted to check. It's a 3rd party drive as I understand Apple doesn't support Blu ray directly (the drive is a Blu ray burner) for some reason (I think it's to do with licensing agreements via Sony etc).

I think I'll just connect it via USB on my girlfriends laptop and update it that way.

Cheers