Optical Drive Help And Advice!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by electroboy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. electroboy macrumors newbie

Hello,

My optical drive is dead.

It won't even take in any cd/dvd's and i've tried booting, rebooting, spraying compressed air and everything else!

Here's what i now need to know....Where is the best place in the UK (i live in Scotland) to get my drive renewed?

Does anyone know how much this will cost me? Will it cost me a fortune?

Is it cheaper to buy an external cd/dvd burner instead and what is the best/cheapest one to purchase?

I'm running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

Many Thanks

Electroboy

2. shaunymac macrumors 6502

What kind of mac do you have? If you are adventerous and like to tinker and take things apart, give it ago yourself. If you get in over your head, then take it somewhere. I upgraged my 12" iBook about a year ago. While it was apart I put a superdrive in it, new hard drive, and upgraded the ram. If you choose to give it ago, by yourself a new hard drive and superdrive and nip it in the bud while you are in there. Its like having a brand new mac. Check out http://www.ifixit.com for some guides for your model. Hope that helps. Oh, and as you take those screws out, you might want to put them in a diagram of some sort. Esp. if it is your first time. Good luck w/ your drive.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I recommend you contact Kevan from http://www.fixmymac.co.uk/
    He's in Edinburgh and is a very nice guy...a bit cynical at times, but very nice!

I live in the US and he has been a huge help to me over the last 2 years or so.

Good luck.

5. skimboarder macrumors newbie

dude, im having the exact same problem as you... (im not in the UK thought), does anyone know of any good, cheap and inexpensive external optical/super drives?

cya

6. jmmarketing macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Did you try a SMC reset and did that work? Or did you have to take it in for repairs to the optical drive? Your insight would be appreciated.

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

To any and all of you, UK or elsewhere, go Pioneer, whichever model - external or internal - suits your computer. They're top-shelf units without top-shelf $$, they work really well with Mac.

For the UK - http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/45/index.html

8. shaunymac macrumors 6502

+1 on the pioneer drives. That is actually what I put in mine. Just buy one, go to ifixit.com, select your mac and start fixing your mac. You'll be surprised what you, yes you, can actually do yourself. :)

Just give yourself plenty of time and space so you don't give yourself any reason to get frustrated.