Optical Drive in "late 2008" (unibody) MBP spitting discs!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danoan522, Mar 6, 2009.

1. danoan522 macrumors newbie

I really neeeeed help on this one, my unibody Macbook Pro has the Matshita dvd-r uj-868 disc drive, and is 2 months old. It's been reading no discs for the past month or so. Every single disc i put in there gets a clunky noise treatment then a "eww, this tastes horrible!" treatment by the drive. I cannot load any discs as they all are spewed out a few seconds after i put them in. Is this a known issue with this model drive? or is there something else i need to know? software related? possible? I should mention that i noticed Disc utility seems to be 'stuck' on the [erase] section of the optical drive; that is when i click on the optical drive in the left-side panel. Is it reacting based on unsolved issues with one particular disc i had tried to erase before? i dont know.. kinda like the question mark that blinks when the o.s. is looking for a disc that it was commanded to start with.. I really don't know, i'm just trying to figure this out. please help as you can with any bit of info, thanks. Also.. I am in St. Lucia and there's no apple store here to take it to, or any form of apple dealership. It's also costly to ship in/out of/to here.

2. J.Genius macrumors newbie

the company name says it all mat"****"a...these drives have high replacement rates. you will need to replaced the optical drive. call apple and they will make sure you dont pay shipping.

of course...this is all under warranty?

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The previous poster is of course correct. If your machine is 2 months old, it is still under warrantee. Call Apple, they will send you a mailer and you send your laptop to them. Apple will fix it and mail it back to you... all free. The alternative is for you to buy a replacement superdrive and install it yourself. Just call Apple.

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Mine has theopposite problem. It doesn't eject the disk because the slot is messed up. I'd take it to applebut I think someone might have spilled beer on it. Either way I need to turn it sideways to get the disc out 1cm then grab it and pull before it sucks it back in. Heh.