Optical Drive MBP Hates Me!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helios12, Aug 5, 2008.

1. helios12 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've had the MBP since Jan. and at first when I burnt DVDs/CDs using the optical drive, no matter what speed I did it at, it would never burn it properly. Granted these were always OS discs, but when I burnt them from my PC it worked fine. So I just assumed that it was a problem with the OS Iso's and the optical drive/media.

Now though when I try and burn a music CD, it gets to writing lead in/out and it always fails, leaving the last few tracks unreadable by my car CD player.

I used itunes for writing, and Toast (full) when I was writing the OS CD's. As for the brands, one is vertibam, and the other was a PCworld unbranded.

Anyone got any ideas, are these brands not supported by the MBP's optical drive?

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Odd. Not all CD-R/DVD-Rs were created equal, but it sounds like there's something else possibly going on.

Personally, I couldn't get imation disks to burn recently (though once upon a time they could), and I kept getting an error at the end of the burn.

Then I used Memorex CD-Rs, and it's been smooth sailing.

I assume you're not running a bunch of processes and getting buffer underruns?

3. helios12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye I thought it could be down to too many programs running... so i tried it with just firefox running (no tabs) just one website... and still the same problem.