Optical drive or HDD whirring?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NonLinearEdits, May 8, 2012.

1. NonLinearEdits macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm having this weird issue... When I shut my MBP off, just as the power cuts out theres what sounds like a whirring or something that seems to come from the front of my Core 2 Duo MacBook pro. Theres no disc in the drive and when I boot it up there's a really quick version of the noise almost like soft grinding. Heres a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdiruPoMzzI&feature=youtube_gdata_player you have to listen closely since its a little quiet... There are no noises emitted from anything when it's actually running. What could it be? It's not a dying HDD is it?

Thanks everyone!

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

well the noise right before the startup chime is a perfectly normal optical drive sound. If you're talking about the noise after the chime, I have no idea what that is... sounds like the result of what I assume to be you performing a hard shutdown.

3. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

It is because the HDD head or the reader goes off when the system is shut down and vice versa when turning on.

4. NonLinearEdits thread starter macrumors newbie

It's that sound right after it shuts down that sounds like a fan coming to a stop with the blades hitting something, but it's in front of the keyboard by the track pad. The second shut off you can hear it better, it also makes a really really brief noise when you turn it on you can hear it but it's really quick