Optical Drive Problem, G4 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsnort, Apr 2, 2008.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm having an odd problem with a G4 Dual 867 MDD I recently bought off ebay.

It came with 10.4 Tiger loaded, and a Retail install DVD for Tiger. I wanted to customize the installation, so I went re-install the OS using the DVD. It went through the install, but at the end it told me there was a problem with the install, and I needed to re-install, ( erased the previous installation.)

I had some Panther CD's, that installed fine. Tested DVD player, some disk's load fine, some not at all, some have poor playback.

Tested the install DVD on the machine I bought the Panther disks for, Tiger installed no problem. (Re-installed Panther later).

Anyone have any ideas?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The best thing to do is try and install another optical drive and see if it works. It could very well be that the current optical drive is on its way to the grave.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

Yea, sounds like the optical drive is about to croak.

I'd use the Panther machine to install onto the Tiger machine, connect the two and boot the Tiger machine in target disk mode. Then you can deal with replacing the drive later.

4. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

That worked, thanks.