Optical drive problem with unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darwinian, Feb 2, 2009.

1. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Does anyone have any problem with Enhanced CD reading on the new MBP? The new Miles Davis Kind of Blue (Legacy Ed) Disc 1 works with my older MBP but not the unibody. Any ideas?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Not sure if the discs I tried were enhanced, but I have had several (>10) that have failed to read on a MacBook unibody, but read on an old MacBook.

I had a thread about it here.

The bottom line is that I went to the Apple Store and they tried the CDs on their floor models and all failed to read them, while they did read on the older ones. They forwarded the issue onto engineering but would not replace it since it seemed to be a problem with all of their drives in the unibodies.

By the way, which drive does your MBP contain? Mine has a Matshita UJ-868.

3. darwinian thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Interesting. The unibody has a

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-868 rev. KA14

A probably unrelated but kind of interesting note, this drive shipped with the Chinese region code, and I had to use one of my resets to change it to NA.

The MBP 3,1 has a UJ-857E rev. ZA0E

4. darwinian thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Whoa, this drive is really particular. It's having trouble reading DVD+R DL discs burned less than a year ago on another MBP ... anyone else having read problems with less-than-standard-but-still-standard discs?