Optical drive problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MKnight, Jan 11, 2008.

1. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Have a Macbook Pro 2.4/8600GT256MB and for some reason some CD's refuse to load.

Brand new store bought CD's sometimes just whir then eject no matter what I do. The CD's work fine in other computers.

Tried resetting the SMC as per this article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

That didn't help...

2. Evader macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. some cd's just won't load, it tries 3 times then spits em out. No problem loading them up on my HP laptop. macbook 2.16 w/ superdrive

3. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Seems that other people are having these problems...this might be a firmware issue...

4. mosx macrumors 65816

The Matsu****a drives in Macs generally live up to the censored portion of their names.

The system is still under warranty. Get it repaired or replaced.

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I run into that trouble with a few DVDs. Only on one or two, depending on scratching or maybe copy-protection, it can take many tries before it accepts that it has to read the discs.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What application are you using to launch the disks? Ie, if it's a DVD, do you use DVD Player to play the movie? If it's a music CD, are you using iTunes to play it? Just wondering.

7. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Just iTunes...and it doesn't matter what app because as soon as the CD is in the disc gets ejected after it tries to spin up.

8. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Nope, still ejects the CD...

It's weird, I bought this new album, 2 disc set. Disc 1 loads fine, Disc 2 does not...

A few other new CD's I bought have this problem too even though there is no info that says they contain DRM.

They load fine in my car and on my other Windows box.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That seems unusual. I don't have problems with hundreds of CDs that I own.

You should make appointment with Genius Bar at the Apple store near you, and bring in multiple non-scratched cds that won't work to demonstrate the problem.

10. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I agree that the matshita drives are terrible. I'm on my second already and sometimes it won't read DVD's it burned itself. many DVDs and CDs have probs. Good thing I kept my old screenless compaq laptop around - its 5 year old CD drive never has a problem reading anything.

I'm not sure whether to recommend getting your drive replaced, but I guess it's worth a shot.

good luck

11. afultz075 macrumors member

My 6 month old MBP is on it's second Superdrive and even the replacement has the occasional issue mounting a CD. These drives really are terrible and is really the only disappointing thing about my computer. I'll be happy when Apple decides to skip optical drives in their notebooks if they insist on putting these crappy burners in their machines.

12. Gandalf47 macrumors newbie

Gandalf47

Me, Too

My drive also is erratic - sometimes (rarely) it accepts a disk, but mostly its rejects them. Hell, it'll load a disk, I'll use it and eject it, then try to remount it, and it will be spit out.

Very disappointing. Tried Apple's suggested fix, and holding the SHIFT key, with no luck.